Wednesday, August 20, 2008

aka Zena!

So back in highschool I played hockey.

I loved hockey because even though it was a team sport, you had permission to be a little bit more aggressive with the opposing team (or enemy as I looked at it!). I'm sure that as soon as I picked up my hockey stick, adjusted my shin guards, and put in my mouth guard that I turned into Zena the warrior princess! It wasn't often that I got to run after people and hit them with a stick, so I relished every game I got to play (this probably explains why I am like I am today).

Anyway, my position on the team was either a left-link or a back. I think I preferred being on defense as I get a kick out of protecting something or someone.

I remember a game several years ago. We were playing on a hockey field and not a turf so the going was tough. The game was nearing the end and both teams hadn't scored a single point. It was one of those incredibly frustrating games when you put your life on the line for your team and nothing seemed to be happening.

So there I was, soaked in sweat, tired from running round in a girly school uniform skirt, and frustrated that our team hadn't scored. Even though we were all over playing that game, whatever happened, there was no way that I was letting the enemy get past me to score a goal that day!

A brave girl ran towards our goal with the ball and as I was on defense that day she met me head on. I put my stick down, and being drained of all my energy I just stood there, with my stick on the ball.

She couldn't budge it. She hit the ball, she manourvered round the ball, but she couldn't get it out of my grasp. I was amazed as I wasn't actually doing a thing except standing my ground with my stick in hand.

The more the girl swung at me, the funnier it got. I started giggling as her face reddened with exassperation and desperation, and it seemed that the more I giggled the more she swung (at this stage I thought she was going to pop an ovary or something!).

The whistle blew and our game ended.

Even though no one had scored, I felt like I had conquered all, just by standing there.

Eph 6 "...and when you have done all, to stand."

I look back on that game and am encouraged as a Christian who goes through battles, that sometimes all God requires of us is to stand. To stand in our faith. To stand in His grace. To hold on to Him and just STAND.

So when you've done all; read the book, got prayer, got anointed with oil, gone to the conference, fasted and prayed, stuck scriptures up all over your home - just stand, and let God be God in your situation.

You may even be in a team of some sorts and while you've spent years fighting for that team's cause, nothing seems to be happening. My encouragement for you today is just put your stick down and stand your ground.

Learn to laugh at the enemy, because God has already won the game!

9 comments:

Symon said...

Honestly Neen... You need to write one of these post each day, and publish a book as a 1-year daily devotional. You are definately gifted at it!

PaisleyJade said...

I'M STANDING!

Neen said...

Symon - do you REALLY reckon I should pursue writing? I've always wanted to write a book one day.

Neen said...

Kristy - YOU STAND girly YOU STAND!!!

CrazyBunny said...

Heya Neen. I look forward to reading your blog every morning. As soon as I get a free minute at work I'm off to see if you've written anything.
I found your post today VERY encouraging. As you know I've suffered from headaches for YEARS and today I have a humdinger!!
I've tried everything and really and truly just want to give up the fight. But today I think I'll just STAND. Not fight, but not give up either. Just STAND. And maybe giggle a little ;)

Neen said...

Crazybunny - wow thank you so much for that encouragement! I will pray that your headaches go away though!

Kate said...

You're cool..move over Mr. Bell. x

Rachel Kate said...

definitely go for your dream neen... JUST DO IT! xox

Neen said...

Well guys, maybe I will write a devo book one day. Lets see, I only need another 349 posts.