Saturday, July 19, 2008

Daddy knows...

God has a funny way of speaking to us sometimes. Here's a story that hugely encouraged me yesterday, and I hope it encourages you too.

I was having a shower and thinking about the big day ahead when out of the blue God reminded me of a childhood experience:

Us 3 girls each had a bike, and one afternoon dad took us to our school yard to help us learn how to ride our bikes without training wheels. So off we went with high hopes and expectations - I was 8 of course. Anything can happen when you're 8!

After a little while of trying to balance, dad holding the bike seat and giving me a push, I got over my speed wabbles and off I went! I was riding my bike all by myself. I was so excited and couldn't wait to go home and show my mom what I could do.

As soon as we got home I pulled my mom outside and told her to watch me. I couldn't wait to see her face! I hopped back on my bike but couldn't balance. Over and over again I assured her, "I can do it, I CAN do it. Just watch me, just watch me, I can ride my bike." But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get the hang of it.

I was so upset and frustrated with myself. Of course my mom said, "It's okay I know you can do it, you can show me again another day," trying to re-assure me. Then the thought occurred to me. Daddy saw me do it! He knows that I can ride my bike.

And that my friends is what God is saying to you and to me. He knows. He knows what we are capable of. We don't have to strive and try and prove ourselves to anybody else. So let's try and remember that when we are having those days when we feel inadequate or faithless.

Daddy knows...

2 comments:

PaisleyJade said...

Thanks for that Nins... so true! And I tried out your muffins with a bit of a twist... will do a post soon... yum!

Kate said...

That's great Nins...I remember those days..the red bike and the blue bike!! Ha classic.